Among the worst problems, you can have at home are issues with your electrical system. You can’t see them and are not easy to access. On top of that, if you do manage to get your hands on them, doing your own repairs is a risky business. According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly have of all the house fires in 2010 were caused by electrical problems. That’s how dangerous it can be when electrical problems go from bad to worse. You will need to hire a professional electrician to make sure your home’s electrical system is safe to use.
Here are some ways on how you can ensure electrical safety:
Using cords and plugs properly
There are two ways on how you can use electrical cords and plugs. There are the right and safe ways and the other ones that will get you into trouble. When using extension cords, plugs, and any other electrical components used for appliances, observe the following:
- Make sure there are no frays or exposed copper wiring in all electrical cords in the household.
- Never lay electrical wiring underneath carpets.
- Only use extension cords for temporary applications and never as permanent fixtures.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to ensure safety.
- Don’t overload extension cords to avoid electrical fires.
Proper installation and placement of light bulbs and lighting fixtures
When using lights, be sure that the lights are below the max wattage of the lighting fixture. This is to ensure that there will be no overloading. Also, always keep lights at least one foot away from anything flammable. Contact your local North Myrtle Beach electrician to repair any electrical issues.
Observe proper usage and application of appliances
Some home appliances require special care to avoid electrocution or any other incidents. When using appliances at home, observe the following safety protocols:
- Keep any heat-producing appliances away from flammable materials.
- Unplug appliances when not in use unless specified.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water unless they are designed to be used in or near liquids.
Added safety measures for your home
If you have children or simply want to take the extra step towards a safer environment at home, you can always hire your local residential electrician to install certain safety measures. Ask the expert to install GFCIs or ground fault circuit interrupters and AFCIs arc fault circuit interrupters.
Warning signs to look out for:
If you notice any of these signs, call NMB Electrician Pros immediately. It is important to ensure that such issues are fixed right away.
- A tingling sensation when you plug in a cord or touch a switch.
- Your circuit breaker trips frequently for no apparent reason.
- You smell a burning smell when using an appliance.
- The faceplate of your outlet is warm to the touch and is discolored.
- Your lights flicker continuously.
- Electrical outlets spark when plugging in appliances.
For any electrical concerns, you might have, contact NMB Electrician Pros. We can provide you with nothing but the best electrical services in North Myrtle Beach. You may reach us at (843) 491-4489.
NMB Electrician Pros
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582